The Bavarian city is situated on the Main. Albrecht von Brandenburg brought art treasures to the city in the 16th century.
The Bavarian city of Aschaffenburg has approx. 71,000 inhabitants and was founded by the Alemanni in the 5th century. From the 10th century to the beginning of the 19th century, Aschaffenburg belonged to the Electorate of Mainz.
The Archbishop and Elector of Mainz, Albrecht von Brandenburg, resided in Aschaffenburg from 1541, where he conducted the famous correspondence with Martin Luther on the sale of indulgences. The art treasures he brought with him are now kept in Johannisburg Castle in the Castle Museum in the Aschaffenburg State Gallery. The most important Cranach collection and works by Rubens were later added here.
The Abbey Museum of the city of Aschaffenburg is a museum for prehistory and early history, the art of the Middle Ages, the Renaissance and for the sacred art of the Baroque exhibits.
In Aschaffenburg there are idyllic parks such as the Schönbusch Park or the palace garden at Johannisburg Palace. At the end of this palace beside the river Main is the Pompejanum, which is a replica of a Roman villa from Pompeii, the Casa dei Dioscuri.
Well-known event rooms are the city theater, the Colos hall and the city hall at the castle.